Now that I have had it for a couple days of home use, I thought I would go over some of my initial thoughts on the product. It is kind of strange, I have read or heard that it is very slow, but I guess that tempered my expectations because it is a faster than what I expected. No, it isn’t as fast as my iPhone 6s Plus, but I wasn’t expecting it to be.
Below are my 10 favorite features, so far:
- Now Playing. Play or pause what's currently playing on your iPhone.
- Quick Play. If you have an Apple Music membership, you can tap Quick Play, which chooses a list of songs for you.
- Beats 1. Listen to Apple's 24/7 worldwide radio station.
- My Music. Browse your music library by Artists, Albums, or Songs, and choose what to listen to.
- Playlists. Listen to any of the playlists already on your iPhone.
The “My Music” sections gives you access to any albums you have matched in the “cloud” and any albums on Apple Music that you have saved. The Playlists work the same way. Of course, you still have Siri access, so you can say something like “Play to Songs from 1979” and “My Sharona” will start playing on the iPhone.
Note: I also had a problem using the SimpleRemote watch app with my AppleTV 4, so I usually just switch to Apple's Remote app when I want to control all of the AppleTV's features from the watch.
To Wrap Things Up
Right now all I can say is that it may be a first gen product, but it also feels like the future.