I have been looking for the perfect over the shoulder bag and I think I finally found it.
I have several shoulder bags because I never really found what I was looking for, but each new bag had a feature that a bag I owned did not have.
When I first read about the Retrospective 20, I thought it may check every single box on my wish list. Here are a few of my requirements:
1. Needs to be nondescript on the outside - I didn't want a flashy bag that looks like it houses expensive camera equipment. The Retrospective 20 is as simple as it gets and the color (Pinestone) is something you don't see in a camera bag very often.
2. Needs to fit a 100-400mm with body attached - This was my main requirement and it is very rare for a should bag. The Retrospective can fit a 100-400mm with body attached and the lens hood reversed. In addition, it also has room for a 70-200 f4 at the same time. As far as I know, this is unheard of in a shoulder bag.
3. Needs to have a few pockets for accessories - The bag has a large pocket in front that will fit a BookBook iPad case and another in the back that can fit an iPad with the smart cover (just to give you an idea of the sizes). There is also a pocket inside that zips and a couple side pockets that can fit an iPhone.
4. Needs to be comfortable to carry - The carry strap on the bag is fantastic.
5. Needs to sit flat - In other words, it needs to be flat on bottom so that I can sit it down without it tipping over. This would typically be an issue with a messenger style bag, but the Retrospective sits without issue.
It filled every major requirement. The only gripe I have is the way they keep the bag closed. They used very loud velcro. They do have a way to cover up the velcro for when you want to just lay the front flap over the top without securing it. However, I would have also liked to see a snap for when you don't want to use velcro. I do like the loud velcro because there is no way someone could get into your bag without being noticed, but I want something quiet and somewhat secure for times I want to be stealthy. I may look into adding a snap of some sort. I should mention that they included a nice rain cover if you get caught in a heavy downpour.
All in all, it is the perfect over the shoulder bag for me. I should mention that it is taller than the average shoulder bag, but I am tall so it is not a problem. If you are in the market for this type of bag, do yourself a favor and try out the Retrospective 20. I may have purchased my last bag.
Dog loving, Big Green Egg worshiping, Tech enthusiast, residing in Memphis, TN. Home of the Tigers, Grizzlies, Elvis, Al Green, Stax, Hi Records, Ardent Studios, Beale Street, Peabody Ducks, etc..
Flickr pics below